Christ and St. Luke's Episcopal Church project, in the Historic
Ghent Neighborhood district of Norfolk, VA, is a 25,000 sf addition
and 10,000 sf renovation to the existing building built in 1903.
The new addition will house a parish hall, classrooms, offices,
multipurpose rooms, and a new kitchen/catering facility.
to both the historical context and the programmatic needs of the
Christ and St. Luke's, the new addition's primary volume is an atrium
that celebrates the existing fašade of the church. The classrooms
and offices are articulated in volume by exterior flamed granite
and limestone. Butt-glazed bay windows punctuate the stone massing
on the east, balancing the ethereal quality of the atrium.